Sunday, May 11, 2014

My Mother's Day Family Vacation at Virginia's Safari Park

Anyone who has ever been to India knows there are plenty of animals roaming the streets freely. Cows, buffalo, sheep, dogs, cats, donkeys, monkeys, etc. They are out there scavenging for food and leaving a trail. That's just about completely opposite of most of America.

Since I have to work on Mother's Day, I decided to plan a large family vacation to Virginia's Safari Park and let my husband meet a few wild and wandering animals here in the US. I had no doubts it would be fantastic since hubby loves animals but freaks out a bit when they get too close. Hilarity was bound to ensue. I was absolutely right!

This is one of my favorite photos. This is one of the animals heading straight for our car window's in order to partake of the food in our feed buckets. I find his facial expression a bit comical.

Another family favorite is the zebra's. Here's one getting ready to stick his head in my window. This one is younger than the rest and a bit shorter so poor thing couldn't get to the bucket unless I held it outside of the car.

But that's all par for the course. Animals climbing in your windows and swarming around your car are common. The llama's love to stand in front of your car, not allowing you to move until you hold your feed bucket out of the window. Some things I got to see which are not so common were the baby kangaroo's and two of my relatives freaking out as the animals tried to enter the windows. I just have to share. Laughter is the best medicine!

Isn't he cute! Okay, okay, on to the funny video.

The voices are Rohit yelling and me laughing LOL. The girl in the front seat is trying to get away from the llama before he sticks his head in the car.

Another funny moment when another car in front of us was overtaken by the camels. Pay close attention, the camel closest to the camera steals their bucket, turns it up and eats it....the actual bucket!

51 comments:

1. Crystal (My Hindi Heart)May 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Ahaha. Now that I'm living over here in India (originally from America) I can understand exactly. I knew that I'd find cows wandering around, but to my surprise, I found they were the bosses of the streets. :D Ahaha They even "moo" at cars that get in the way.

ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the cows definitely rule the roads.

ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Happy Mother's Day to you too. :)

ReplyDelete
  4. We love safari parks! There's a small one in Huntsville, AL that we have visited a couple time and it is always so much fun!

5. Veronica SolomonMay 11, 2014 at 9:15 PM

I grew up in Jamaica so it is not that unusual to see animals roaming the street. Maybe why I don't really do the zoo or safari parks very often. I do it for my kids every once in a while

ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like so much fun! What a great way to celebrate Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day!

ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a blast! We have a safari park ear us that my family enjoys visiting.

ReplyDelete
  8. LOL This reminded me of the time when we all went to Parc Saffari here in Montreal! Same concept as your park! We had some huge animals coming so close and slobbering all over the windows! It was great fun! Hope we can do it again this summer!

ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great way to spend the day with the family. I love teaching our boys about nature and wildlife.

ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun way to spend time with the family. There is nothing like an up close animal encounter, either!

11. Liz @ A Nut in a NutshellMay 12, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I can't believe the camel ate the bucket. What a crazy and fun thing to do on Mother's Day!

ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, this is a great post! Love the funny videos!

ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that must have been one hungry camel, lol. What a fun way to spend they day.

14. TouristMeetsTravelerMay 12, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Looks like you had an amazing Mother's Day, a family vacation was a perfect way to spend it.

ReplyDelete
  15. That looks like so much fun. I can't believe how comfortable the animals are with all the people!

ReplyDelete
  16. That does look like a really fun time. Great way to spend a Sunday with family.

ReplyDelete
  17. What a cool park. I enjoy any animal related. I want to go now.

ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantastic sounding park, I haven't been to an animal park in forever really must go sometime.

19. JadeLouise DesignsMay 12, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Oh I have always wanted to see a zebra in person! That is so cool! I'd love a
    Safari Park trip! Amber E.

ReplyDelete
  20. I love animals, places like this are so fun for me; it's the perfect place for mothers day.

21. Jennifer WilliamsMay 12, 2014 at 9:24 PM

That would be quite an adventure, we have similar parks here that should be opening for season soon and I can not wait to go.

ReplyDelete
  22. This looks like so much fun! There is a place similar to this a few hours away but we have never been!

ReplyDelete
  23. Fun! I loved when we went on a safari here in CA. They are so much fun for the entire family! Looks like you really enjoyed your time!

ReplyDelete
  24. Lol. It took me 2 washes to get all the slobber and animal mess off my car. I'm still finding food in the floor boards though.

ReplyDelete
  25. It was the best! So much more fun than just going out for food.

ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you! I hope your Mother's Day was great too.

ReplyDelete
  27. The camels eat a lot of buckets lol. They remind me of goats in that they seem to eat any and everything.

ReplyDelete
  28. They get a little too comfortable. You can pet them and everything. The park just doesn't allow you to get out of your vehicle to protect their safety. We even had deer coming in the car windows. That was amazing.

ReplyDelete
  29. You should definitely go! It's quite the adventure.

30. Virginia @thatbaldchickMay 13, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Ohh, face time with a zebra? My daughter would love that!

31. Thrill of the ChasesMay 13, 2014 at 9:35 AM

How fun is this! I love how friendly and close all the animals got. My kids would love this!- alice chase

32. Marni Mutrux MeistrellMay 13, 2014 at 10:27 AM

This looks like a riot! We have a safari park here but the animals don't seem to move much!

ReplyDelete
  33. OH my gosh he ate the whole bucket????? That's crazy!!

ReplyDelete
  34. Oh wow, that is so cool! I love how the animals come right up to the car. The zebra is my favorite!

ReplyDelete
  35. WOW! They get so close to the cars!! Incredible shots, I've be scared out of my mind, even locked in!

36. Babita@BabsProjectsMay 13, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I am from India and I am well aware of what you are talking about in terms of finding animals everywhere. We went to Six Flags safari here in NJ and had a great time with all the free roaming animals.

ReplyDelete
  37. I love the safari places, and the kids really have a great time at these. I am going to take my baby granddaughter this summer for sure.

38. Awesome post .i hope everybody will like your post

ReplyDelete
  39. We love our lion county safari in Florida. You never know what animals will do next!you con great funny video!
    Happy Mother's Day!

ReplyDelete
  40. Oh my gosh! We drove through a place like this in South Dakota once and had donkey heads in our car! Such fun.. I love parks like this. So glad you had a great Mother's Day!

ReplyDelete
  41. You have to go early in the morning or later in the day when it's cool. We got there a bit later than I wanted (around 10 AM) and some of them were already looking for shade. Or go on a cooler day in the spring. Planning is the key when it comes to the animals.

ReplyDelete
  42. Oh definitely! Zebra's are in a lot of cartoon movies and seem to really draw the kids attention.

ReplyDelete
  43. Oh yeah, he ate the whole bucket! As we passed by he had it crumbled up inside of his mouth, still chomping away. I know it's only a plastic bucket but I still think his jaws would get tired after a little while and he would spit it out but he didn't seem to do that!

ReplyDelete
  44. The zebra is one of my favorite's too. I think the ostrich's are also fun though, the way they peck their heads into the buckets and make a huge mess always gets a lot of laughs.

ReplyDelete
  45. It's really funny but they do form groups and block your car in. The llama's are the worst ones! One stands right in the middle of the road where you can't get by and the others gather around your window's.

ReplyDelete
  46. I didn't know that Six Flags had things like that! We don't live near one but I've vacationed by them and thought they were just another theme park which I'm not that into. I may have to look into them again though. Then I can seek revenge for holding everyone's junk while they ride the rides by making them feed the animals while I get more video. :P

ReplyDelete
  47. How exciting! It's always better with kids. I love watching their faces when they get excited and start giggling or squealing. We gave a toddler our budgie feeding sticks because he was having so much fun in the bird sanctuary. He was just too cute! When he got a bird to sit on the stick so he could hold it he just started cackling and it was the greatest thing ever.

ReplyDelete
  48. Thank you! I wound up with a big camera and a video camera going at the same time while we drove through there. I didn't want to miss any of the reactions. Next time I think I'm going to take a truck through so no one can roll the windows up and hide hahaha.

ReplyDelete
  49. Safari parks are awesome! I hope your mother's day was great too. :)

ReplyDelete
  50. When our oldest granddaughter was little, we went-- she got the biggest kick out of a moose sticking his head in the window, and said-"Grandma, he's gonna eat you."