Friday, August 30, 2013

The Time Has Come

It's hubby's last day before leaving India. The remainder of his family who he has not visited has come to his home. Close friends dropped by (he didn't tell most of his friends though). The emotions in the household are running tense today. Last night everyone was bleaching their faces. They looked like a bunch of brown mimes on webcam. It was funny and cute all at the same time.

Dr. Didi was there with hubby and so her and I got to act up for what may be the last time. She can't speak English and has never tried. I really love her lol. It never mattered that she didn't know English and I didn't know Punjabi. She always struck up a conversation with me, speaking in Punjabi, and then would just laugh at the end when she realized I had no clue what she was saying. We managed though and always wound up being partners in crime hahahaha. Didi rules!

Anyway, every family member was in hubby's room. Preparations were being made for the morning trip out. Everyone was going with him. Some would be getting off of the tour at different places than him and heading on their way home as well. The taxi had been booked to carry them all and the luggage and there was nothing left but the family meal.

It didn't matter that hubby was leaving in the morning. He is still the eldest son in the home and as such, he got to go out and pick up what everyone wanted for dinner. He loved it though. His last day fulfilling his duty as the eldest son. This task would be handed off the very next day to his cousin.

I think his family ran him all over the are too. He had to go to one place for the main meal, another for snacks and another for drinks. Everyone got sweets and celebrated though I could tell there was the sense of sadness in the room for him leaving. It says a lot to me about the emotions of a desi family.

Hubby isn't really close with anyone but his mom but that didn't stop everyone from coming to see him off. Cousins he's not that fond of came to go with him to the airport. Speaking of the airport, hubby was so nervous. Everything I had told him of traveling internationally had slipped his mind. He needed me to tell him again. I sent him all the answers to his paperwork that he would need to fill out on the plane just to ease the transition.

His biggest concern was whether or not he needed to pick up his bags during his layover. I don't think he wanted to deal with all the luggage any more than he had to. He knew all these things, but still asked me.

Then the emotional text messages started. During all his running he was texting me about how wonderful I was. I'm not complaining hahaha! I kept getting these while I was at work and it just made me think even more about how he would react to seeing America. Fortunately I can take him all over several states easily. It will be a good chance for him to see the east coast of America. It's nothing like Hollywood here and I think he's going to love the quiet nature of the places I go.

I have to laugh a little at how hubby's night played out. Despite the fact that everyone in the house had to get up really early to leave, no one went to bed early. Dinner wasn't until almost 9 PM. Then of course there was more talking and then they had to settle in for the night and figure out where everyone was sleeping. Most of them wound up in hubby's room.

This is the last time I'll hear from hubby before seeing him. He says he's going to call from the airport but I don't think he's going to have the time. He has to call his family, find his place, etc. It's hard for me to believe that in less than 48 hours we'll be living together again.The reality has not sunk in yet even though I feel the excitement building.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I felt your excitement through your posts. I could imagine you are itching with excitement. Amelia