Friday, October 21, 2011

Occupy Together – Be One of the 99 Percent

Disclaimer: Sorry for the unusually heavy graphic at the bottom of this post. I didn't make it, it was donated to the cause and I wanted a representation of it here.

It’s no secret that Indians are fed up with the corruption experienced throughout the country. Movements, fasts and protests are widespread throughout India. Recently, a similar movement in America called Occupy Wall Street (OWS) has began protesting the corruption in America. Their aim is to rid America from the corruption and restore a better economy there before it gets out of hand. Their claim is that only 1% is corrupt and they are ruining the country for the other 99%.

Though I have personally done no research on this topic, I would venture to say that it’s pretty close to the same in India. 99% of the people here are not corrupt on a serious level, they live their lives as law abiding citizens and are forced to pay exorbitant prices for services that should not cost them any more than a small processing fee. I myself fell victim to these bribery scams and being white they expect me to pay double. 

Occupy Wall Street has spawned a global movement – Occupy Together. Chapters are sprouting up all over the world to fight corruption. I encourage each and every one of you to sign up for Occupy Together  events for your area and if there isn’t one for you area then try to start one. If the 99% join together, there is no reason we can’t end corruption throughout the world and make it a better place for everyone.

5 comments:

  1. I am glad I am not the only one who likes to type fast and type a lot! My coworkers make fun of me, because I have literally scratched the paint off all the keys on my keybaord with my fast and furious typing. Also! Happy Diwali! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nice story, and don't worry about length of comments. I'm really long winded myself and can type 94 words a minute (as fast as I can think and talk). So I tend to go over board myself and can relate to long stories well. ;) I'm glad that you were so well supported. If I was in the states Rohit and I would definitely be at these gatherings. Thanks for your support as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really happy to read this post. My husband and I have gone down to support the protest here a couple of times. I went by myself once too while he was away on business during the first week they were protesting here. The crowd definitely grew the next time we visited. It was crazy - we were approached by several people with cameras, wanting to get us to speak out about why we were there, etc. One lady just came out and said it - the crowd gathered was largely white only, and she was happy to see a 'diverse' couple that represented a big part of the population (US spouse + spouse from another country). My husband is quite...political, I guess you could say, and he really got into it with one guy who was there trying to promote some economic policies he didn't agree with. They ended up drawing a crowd and a bunch of people filmed their argument with their phones. The best part was that there were six or seven people around him supporting his side, and literally nobody backing up the other guy. Long comment here but I had to share. It was definitely an interesting and eye opening experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, there is corruption in the US government but less than India. If no one does anything about it things could get worse.

    It would be nice for this endeavor to take of and stop corruption in every country. India could be so much better if it wasn't for the corruption here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i did feel usa is less corrupt, however who am i to say i never stayed there for more than 3 days. as far as uk is concerned, these folks are pretty cool, apart from the thugs such as plumbers :|


    corruption in india, :) government officials and clerks are mostly corrupt, system is all corrupted however yes, indians do not intend to harm anyone, they want to get things done sooner than later.

    #_#
    Chintu Singh

    ReplyDelete